My consulting work has sought to provide policy and programmatic support to a range of humanitarian and human rights related programming, including extensive engagement with monitoring and evaluation, and in particular of protection and rule of law. I have a background with the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), having managed field offices in conflict zones in Africa and Asia, including leading large field operations in highly insecure environments. For the last 15 years I have sought to leverage my field experience to support agencies in their work in the field through my consulting practice. My consulting work has been dominated by a decade of programme evaluations and a range of other programme support work with a focus on justice, rights and rule of law. My clients have largely been United Nations agencies and international NGOs and have included UNHCR, Save the Children, Avocats sans Frontières, ICRC, Norwegian Refugee Council, UNRWA, UN Women, the International Organization for Migration, the International Coalition for Sites of Conscience, and the International Center for Transitional Justice, among others. I have led evaluations of large budget projects and evaluation teams across four continents .
While most of my consulting outputs are not public here are some that I can share.
- GIJTR (2022) Strengthening transitional justice through engagement with religious and faith-based actors: An Assessment Toolkit. A project of the Global Initiative for Justice, Truth and Reconciliation (GIJTR), driven by the understanding that involving faith-based organizations in transitional justice processes requires a proper analysis of their role and potential contribution. (Also available in Ndebele and Shona)
- ICRC (2021) Guiding Principles on Interaction with Families of Missing Migrants, Geneva: ICRC.
- GIJTR (2020) Pathways of Innovation: Civil Society Advancing Transitional Justice, GIJTR.
- Robins, S. (2019) Analysis of Best Practices on the Identification of Missing Migrants: Implications for the Central Mediterranean, Central Mediterranean Route Thematic Report Series. International Organization for Migration, Geneva.
- Jennifer Tsai and Simon Robins (2018) Strengthening Participation in Local-Level and National Transitional Justice Processes, International Coalition of Sites of Conscience.
- Majida Rasul and Simon Robins (2018) Assessment of Dispute Resolution Structures and HLP issues in Borno and Adamawa States, N-E Nigeria, Norwegian Refugee Council.